These are instructions for those who want to set up "classic" printers that are not cloud-ready. These instructions will allow your tablet to print to any accessible printer in your school's local network through Google's Cloud Printing connection.
Before setting up your tablet for Google Cloud Printing, you will need three things beforehand:
- An internet connection.
- A Google Account - if you do not have one, you will need to sign up in order to get Google Cloud Print Settings to work.
- Google Chrome Web Browser - this will need to be installed on your computer in order for the Google Cloud Print to detect the printers you need to connect to.
NOTE: you are not required to create a Gmail account for this. You can create a regular Google Account without Gmail at this web address: https://accounts.google.com/SignUpWithoutGmail
After you have these three elements established, please follow these instructions to get Google Cloud Printing set up:
- Log in to your user account on the Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.
- Open Google Chrome Web Browser.
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar. This is located on your far upper right-hand corner.
- In the menu, look towards the bottom and select Settings.
- In the Settings screen, look to the very bottom and click the Show advanced settings link.
- Scroll down to the “Google Cloud Print” section. Click Sign in to Google Cloud Print.
- In the window that appears, sign in with your Google Account to enable the Google Cloud Print connector.
- Select the printers you wish to access, and then click the button that says Add printer(s).
- You'll see a confirmation that Google Cloud Print has been enabled. Click Manage your printers to learn more.
The printer is now associated with your Google Account and connected to Google Cloud Print. You can print to this printer using Google Cloud Print whenever you’re signed in with the same Google Account.
If you need instructions for setting up Cloud Ready Printers, you try clicking here for instructions.