Everyone has an organization that is a child of a much larger organization, referred to as a Parent Organization. Because of this, there is access to the Parent Organization's content. When content is "copied" from another organization in general, one is able to:
- copy a Lesson or a Category into one's own Organization.
- edit that copy of the Lesson or Category.
For this example, a Lesson will be used, but this process can be applied to copying a Category as well.
In order to "copy" content, do the following steps:
- In the edredi portal, please click on the Organization Name found in the top righthand corner.
- Once in the Organization's Properties Page, locate the "Parent" field and click on the Parent Organization's name. if this is not the Parent Organization desired, wait until the Parent Organization's Properties page appears and click on the Parent Name for that one. Repeat until the Info Screen for the desired Parent Organization appears.
- Once the Properties Page for the desired Parent Organization appears, look towards the bottom. Find the small arrows pointing to "Lessons", "Categories" and "Resources". Please click on the arrow for "Lessons".
- The Lessons that are available will roll down. Please select the content desired for copying.
- Once the Lesson is open, please look to the right where it says Actions. Select Actions, then click on "Copy Lesson".
- After clicking "Copy Lesson", an option box will appear, allowing the option to change the name of the Lesson. At the top of the box, it will tell you where the Lesson is being copied to. Go ahead and rename the Lesson, then click the "Copy Lesson" button.
- Click the 3-barred icon at the top and select "Lessons".
- In the Lessons Management Page, there are sections labelled "Added by [YourOrganizationName]" and "Selected by [YourOrganizationName]". The copied Lesson should now be visible under "Added By...".
- The Lesson is now available for testing, editing, deploying, etc.
NOTE: Again, this same procedure applies to copying Categories as well.
Copying a Lesson is very useful under one's own organization as well. It is like the "save as" file function. The existing lesson can be copied to revise and expand while maintaining the original lesson content. This allows the teacher to build a series of Lessons that share some of the same content and/or have a common theme. In essence, the teacher is building his/her own custom-built lesson bank that can be used year after year.