You can add a variety of Resources to the edredi portal. Adding a website as a Resource only requires a few steps.
ADDING A WEBSITE
You can add your own Resource from the Resources Management Page. To add a website, complete the following steps.
- Click MAKE in the Main Menu.
- next to MAKE A NEW --> Select RESOURCE.
- Select the Resource type. In this case, it would be WEBSITE.
- Next to ABOUT - choose what subject best fits the website resource that is being created.
- Name your Web Resource.
- Click MAKE IT to get to the Website Resource Menu Screen.
- Now fill in the Website URL with the the full path, which includes the "http://", "https://", etc. Ex. http://www.starfall.com. Click outside the box to save the URL.
- Edit the name of the website here.
- Change the icon here.
- Add the whitelist URLs needed in this section. Review the article named SUGGESTED WHITELIST METHODS.
Some websites require the setting of additional properties to be fully functional.
To help in CIPA compliancy, edredi restricts student browsing to only the websites that have been designated as Resources. However, there are times when certain URLs associated with a website will also need to be accessible for student use. Add these URLs to a whitelist in the Properties Page of the website Resource.
When a web browser contacts a web server, it describes itself using the UserAgent property. The default UserAgent for edredi and other Android tablets can sometimes cause the web server to provide a different version of the website, potentially causing problems and confusion.
In this situation, the UserAgent could be overridden to allow edredi to "pretend" to be a different browser or even a different device. This potentially allows some websites to "correct" their behavior, which in turn allows for better functionality when in use.